Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Wednesday 8.14.13

Maya at the CFNE Teen Competition.

Rest Day

Warm up
Before you train you need to get ready mentally and physically.  This should include (in order)...
General warm up - full body movements through a full rang of motion.
Mobility work - break up sticky spots, improve mobility around joints and muscle quality, improve postioning
Specific warm up - if you are going for a 1RM snatch - do some PVC or technique work or the Burgener warm up with and empty barbell.
Mental preparation - spend 5 minutes visualizing your training session and what you want to take away from the training.  Remind yourself why you do this and why you enjoy it.

Cool Down
This is one of the most important times for the mental side of your training.  Immediately after your WOD is the time to reassess the positives from your session - not second guess your efforts, strategy or ability.  Tell yourself that you are happy with your effort, reaffirm that the stimulus you got is going to make you a better athlete, and convince yourself that you loved the pain.  This will become a self-fulfilling prophecy and you will perform better and become mentally stronger in your training and competition.
A good rule of thumb is to have your cool down last for 20 minutes minus the time of your metcon.  For example, if you did "Fran" and it took you 3 mins, your cool down should last for 17 more minutes.  If you did "Nancy" and it took you 12 minutes, your cool down would be 8 minutes.
General cool down - Bringing your heart rate back to normal gradually, allowing things to get flushed out properly.  Rowing, walking or the airdyne are good options.
Specific cool down - Foam Roll AND Stretch the worked muscles and joints.


8 comments:

  1. thanks coach ... I have to agree hands down ... I ALWAYS do a solid warm up now ... however I need to spend more time mentally preparing for the wods ... I know I have a lot if self doubt. the days I perform best are the days I choose bit to listen ... or find ways to block it out . i think an important skill for to to practice is actually dealing with those thoughts...I think this will change my game 100%! if I can expose myself to the thoughts... hear them ...& still do what I know I can do .... then the thoughts will soon become nothing ....

    I also need to spend more time cooling down !

    my legs are ready for recovery tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having issues posting off my iPhone via safari and having to use chrome off my phone. Anyone else getting the same issues?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should the open athletes do their cool down immediately after the metcon to prep for the strength/technique work or just wait until after the whole workout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a great question. As all warm-up and cool-down protocols it is going to be individualized, but the recommendation would be to cool down after the metcon to prep for the strength/technique work.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the answer. I would also like to thank you for the great programming. I've been following the blog for a couple months and just recently (this week) started doing the wods. Looking forward to seeing some progress!

      Delete
  4. Recovery Day
    60 minutes mobility and mashing ready for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Everyone,
    I have a "littler" child and have to get the workouts in prior to going to work. He (and also my wife after he goes to bed) just doesn't give me the time afterwork or on the weekends. So I am kinda confined to a M-F rotation with some recovery, like long stroller walks or a few pullups/pushups here and there, during the weekend.

    ANy best methods to follow the site M-F? I have just been doing the Saturday Wod from the week prior on Wednesday.

    BTW, following the open programming.

    ReplyDelete